Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Braised white cabbage with bacon and thyme

Suddenly when I typed the title of this post I found myself wanting to laugh. How on earth could I ever expect anyone to read a post about white cabbage? It would be a cure for insomnia, like people writing about their dental hygiene or their house-cleaning routine (I don't have one so don't expect me to write about it - you are safe here..). However. Jamie has a whole set of vegetable recipes, centred around what he perceives to be the most popularly used vegetables in the UK: potatoes, peas, carrots, onions/leeks, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, courgettes, butternut squash. He may well be right - I use all the above, but I am also an avid aubergine-gobbler; I love sweet potato as an alternative to white potato; I adore fennel; I often cook pak choi and mange tout and sugar snaps and green beans/runner beans, plus asparagus in season. I can't pretend to know what veg most people cook because when people tell you what they're having for dinner, often they either forget to tell you about the veg or (spooky possibility) they don't eat veg. I love vegetables and I like finding new ways to cook them. Hence this recipe, which attracted me because I am partial to bacon and to thyme and because I had half a mammoth white cabbage waiting to be used.

For this dish, you simply bring stock, bacon and thyme to the boil in a pan on the hob, add thinly sliced cabbage, boil furiously and then simmer gently until the cabbage tastes nice. Easy as can be.



So it was very nice. I'm not going to rave about it - white cabbage is hardly on the same scale as chocolate cake or even rack of lamb. But I will cook it again because it is so easy and yet gives the humble white cabbage fantastic flavour that it sadly sometimes doesn't have. Result!

No comments: